Sept. 27, 2017
MEDIA ALERT: Public Citizen’s Leading Experts on Regulation Can Push Back on Trump’s Deregulation Speech
On Monday, Oct. 2, President Donald Trump is expected to deliver a major address on his administration’s deregulatory push. Public Citizen’s experts are available for television, radio and print interviews ahead of and after the president’s speech.
Our experts can tell you how robust regulation and enforcement are essential to economic prosperity; how Trump and the GOP’s attacks on regulation are hurting regular Americans and setting the stage for large-scale deregulatory disasters; how these attacks run contrary to public opinion and defy major campaign promises; and how deregulation is payback to corporate donors. They also can comment on the details of administration and congressional proposals.
Public Citizen is one of the lead groups defending our nation’s system of public protections from attacks on regulation by the Trump administration, Republicans in Congress and industry. Here are just some of the battles Public Citizen is involved in:
- Public Citizen is suing to block the Trump administration’s executive order on regulations – which stops any new rule from being issued unless two safeguards are repealed – and is involved in several ongoing legal battles over specific rules, including the U.S. Department of Education’s borrower defense rule, the U.S. Department of Labor’s rule on tracking workplace injuries and the Department of Labor’s fiduciary rule;
- Public Citizen is leading an effort to stop congressional Republicans from using the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to overturn the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s arbitration rule, which protects consumers’ right to take financial companies to court over wrongdoing;
- Public Citizen led a coalition of hundreds of groups opposed to the CRA, which congressional Republicans used to repeal 14 Obama-era rules;
- Public Citizen co-chairs the Clean Budget Coalition, which is fighting to remove anti-regulatory and deregulatory policy riders from federal spending legislation;
- Public Citizen is one of the groups leading the opposition to the Financial CHOICE Act, which would deregulate Wall Street and the financial industry;
- Public Citizen is one of the lead groups calling for regulation to limit or ban forced arbitration “rip-off” clauses used by a variety of industries and urging federal agencies to more aggressively regulate corporate political spending;
- Public Citizen chairs the Coalition for Sensible Safeguards, which leads the opposition to anti-regulatory legislation such as the Regulatory Accountability Act and the REINS Act;
- Public Citizen, in partnership with our allies, is watchdogging regulatory delays and rollbacks in agencies throughout the federal government; and
- Public Citizen has issue experts and public policy advocates fighting for stronger safeguards and tougher enforcement on a variety of fronts: financial reform, clean energy, worker protections, safe and affordable medicines, curbing the corrupting influence of money in politics and fixing our political process.
To speak with an expert involved in one or more of these efforts, please reach out to any of the press contacts listed above.