Make a difference
Join us at Public Citizen, and help us represent the public interest in the halls of power. We champion good government, a strong regulatory system, a clean and sustainable environment, affordable and safe health care, citizen access to the courts, corporate accountability in the trade arena and more.
We know that to perform at our best, you need to be at your best. Here at Public Citizen, we offer a competitive benefits package. Below is a sample of some of our benefits (please note that some benefits have eligibility and requirements, such as years of employment):
• Sick leave
• Holidays and personal days
• Paid parental leave
• Employer-paid medical and dental
• Long-term disability
• Flexible workplace/time
• Flexible spending accounts for dependent care, transportation and health
• Cellphone reimbursement
• 401(K) retirement plan (employer contribution 5 percent)
• Student loan reimbursement program
Public Citizen is an Equal Opportunity Employer and promotes a smoke-free and green environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, personal appearance or disability. Women, people of color and LBGT candidates are encouraged to apply.
Public Citizen is at the forefront of fighting corporate power and defending our democracy. We organize, lobby, litigate, conduct research, and communicate with the press and public in a variety of ways.
We offer both paid and unpaid internships for people who are passionate about our issues and who want to learn and contribute in a fun and rewarding environment.
Our interns work with Public Citizen staff including researchers, organizers, program directors, campaign directors, press officers, lobbyists, and fundraisers and more. Summer interns will have the opportunity to participate in luncheons with senior staff, networking events, and other activities.
Public Citizen internships are available year round. Our summer internships are typically full time (40 hours a week for around eight weeks), although we have some flexibility as to hours and weeks.
Public Citizen offers unpaid internships and a small number of paid internships ($15 an hour). To be considered for a paid internship for Fall 2019, candidates must apply by August 15, 2019, and submit Materials listed below. Chosen applicants will be notified by Monday, August 26, 2019.
To apply for an internship, please review the list of available internships below.
Our internships descriptions list which materials we need from you in your application. If you are applying for a paid internship, please also include an essay outlining why you want to intern at Public Citizen and any other information about you that you wish to have considered, including your need for financial support (500 words or less). If you have completed the FAFSA, please also submit a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR).
- Summer Public Interest Law Clerk – Litigation Group
- Organizing Internship – Congress Watch
- Advocacy Internship – Congress Watch
- Legal Internship – Congress Watch
- Communications Internship – Communications Department
- Social Media and Video Production Intern – Communications Department
- Climate – Research and Advocacy Internship
- Climate – Communications and Advocacy Internship
- Energy – Research Internship
- Get Big Money out of Politics!
- Global Trade Watch – General Internship
- Global Trade Watch – Field Organizing Internship
- Global Access to Medicines – General Internship
- Global Access to Medicines – Legal Patent Internship
- Medicare for All Organizing Internship
- Corporate Crime Research Internship (Spring Semester)
If you have a question or concern you can reach our Director of Human Resources and Administration, Sherry Joseph at HR@citizen.org.