Public Citizen’s Texas office – located in Austin – works mostly on environmental issues. Preserving a livable climate is one of our primary focuses. We advocate for a rapid transition from polluting fossil fuels to clean, affordable renewable energy, as well as programs that will clean our air. Texas is ground zero for many environmental challenges and our staff is working to achieve a more just and sustainable future. We engage in state level and local policy making, media outreach and organizing. Interns will work with staff on one or several projects, depending on the individual’s skills, background and interests. This will be a great opportunity to get hands-on experience working on public policy.
Interns will do some or all of the following:
- Writing reports, factsheets, fliers
- Writing blog posts
- Assisting with social media
- Assisting with press conferences, briefings, and other events
- Attending community meetings to share information about our campaigns
- Desire to work in the public’s interest and
- Commitment learning about and working on environmental issues
- Self-motivation and a desire to learn
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with a team
Desired, but not required:
- Background in energy, politics, economics, or public policy
- Any experience with graphics, video or social media is a plus, but definitely not required
- At least 10 weeks
- Minimum of 15 hours per week
309 E 11th St, Suite 2, Austin, TX 78701
Public Citizen’s Texas office offers unpaid internships year round (course credit can be arranged). The organization as a whole offers a small number of paid internships ($15 an hour), which applicants wishing to work in Texas can apply for.
Public Citizen offers unpaid internships (credit can be arranged) and a small number of paid internships ($15 an hour). To be considered for a paid internship for Spring 2021, candidates must apply by November 1, 2020, and submit materials listed below. Our fall internships are typically full time (40 hours a week for around eight weeks), although we have some flexibility as to hours and weeks. Chosen applicants will be notified by Monday, November 16, 2020.
Applications for both paid and unpaid internships should be emailed to Adrian Shelley (firstname.lastname@example.org) with “Texas Internship” as the email subject. Please include a cover letter, a resume and a writing sample. You may share graphics, videos, social media, or other content you have created if you like.