Just when you thought wearing shower shoes was the worst problem…
People often acknowledge that today’s youth are among the most concerned about climate change. However, now campus administrators are joining their students in the fight against global warming. More than 500 colleges and universities around the nation are focusing to reduce their impact on the environment.
Though they did not traipse through the quad at an involvement fair, campus administrators made their own club, akin to many of the student groups, to encourage sustainability. University presidents who sign the American College & University Presidents Climate Commitment pledge to eliminate their campuses’ greenhouse gas emissions over the course of time. This involves:
- Completing an emissions inventory
- Within two years, setting a target date and interim milestones for becoming climate neutral.
- Taking immediate steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by choosing from a list of short-term actions.
- Integrating sustainability into the curriculum and making it part of the educational experience.
- Making the action plan, inventory and progress reports publicly available.
Learn more about renewable energy and how to reduce your environmental footprint.