GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION: The United States spends more on the military than the next seven countries combined – and this appropriations season has seen a debate only over how much more Pentagon spending should rise. Public Citizen’s People Over Pentagon campaign aims to radically shift the terms of debate, toward a discussion of deep Pentagon spending cuts and a reallocation of public money from endless war to meeting priority human needs – averting catastrophic climate change, education, alleviating poverty and more.
The People Over Pentagon Advocate will drive Public Citizen’s campaign to win deep cuts in Pentagon spending. This campaign is devoted to socializing the idea of deep Pentagon cuts and shifting needless, counterproductive and wasteful Pentagon spending to meet priority domestic and human needs; it is not focused on the Congressional appropriations process. The campaign has multiple prongs: expand the coalition supporting deep Pentagon cuts (www.peopleoverpentagon.org) and engage coalition partners as robustly as possible; a social media campaign to spread the idea of deep Pentagon cuts and shifting Pentagon spending; targeted grassroots organizing; and educate presidential candidates on the importance of deep Pentagon cuts to fund human needs.
This campaign is an exciting opportunity to transform the terms of public policy debate on Pentagon spending. We are looking for a dynamic, creative, energetic and hard-working campaigner to help make great things happen. Specific responsibilities include:
- Help build a detailed campaign plan – inclusive of national coalition building, communications, grassroots campaigning and more — to drive forward our Pentagon cuts strategy.
- Help expand our coalition and facilitate campaign work, including by maintaining regular contact with key allies and engaging regularly with those less fully engaged.
- Develop and execute social media and traditional media outreach plans in coordination with the Communications Department.
- Serve as a spokesperson and represent Public Citizen to the public and media in DC.
- Recruit and engage a network of grassroots volunteers demanding deep Pentagon cuts.
- Produce micro reports, fact sheets, blogs and letters to the editor for distribution to the media, policy makers and advocacy groups.
- Help build a campaign plan to educate presidential campaigns about Pentagon spending and the value of reallocating Pentagon funds to address human needs
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree required.
- 5-7 years of campaigning experience and a track record of campaigning success .
- Exceptional analytic, research, and written and oral communications skills.
- Experience working with social media and online communications desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in coalitions and networks.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, respond to short-term deadlines and balance multiple responsibilities; maintain strong attention to detail and accuracy; and be persistent.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Competitive salary and benefit package. This is a grant contingent position that is not expected to renew beyond one year. Below is a list of some of our benefits (please note that some benefits have eligibility requirements).
- Great medical and dental coverage, including full coverage for children
- Three weeks paid vacation for new employees, plus five personal days
- 401K plan with a 5% contribution from PC after one year of employment
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- Sabbatical after 10 years of employment
- Student loan reimbursement program
Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to Sherry Joseph at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered as received. We aim to fill the position as fast as possible. Please no phone calls.