CAFTA Damage Report: Utah Reps. Rob Bishop (R), Chris Cannon (R) and Jim Matheson (D)
By voting in favor of the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA), Utah’s three House members (Rep. Rob Bishop, Rep. Chris Cannon, and Rep. Jim Matheson) opened a new door to attack Utah’s ban on legalized gambling. CAFTA empowers foreign gambling companies to use UN and World Bank international courts to challenge U.S. laws, including Utah’s gambling ban, which they could claim undermine the special new rights CAFTA provides foreign corporations.
PUBLIC CITIZEN NEWS RELEASES
Read the memo CAFTA's Threat to U.S. Gambling Regulation, mentioned in the CAFTA Damage Report News Release
NEWS ARTICLES ON UTAH REPRESENTATIVES' BAD CAFTA VOTES
- "USW React to U.S. House Vote Approving CAFTA," Business Wire, July 28, 2005.
- "Democracy Sold Out - CAFTA Approved by Pork and a Hill of Beans," CommonDreams.org, July 28, 2005.
- "CAFTA Vote Outs 'Bush Democrats,'" The Nation, July 28, 2005.
- "Labor Won't Forget the CAFTA Dems," Capital Times, July 28, 2005.
- "Matheson Vote Irks Unions," Deseret Morning News, July 29, 2005.
- "Unions Say They Will Punish Democrats For Supporting DR-CAFTA Deal," Inside US Trade, July 29, 2005.
- "Seeking a Real Democrat," Salt Lake Tribune, August 3, 2005.
- "Politics and CAFTA," Washington Trade Daily, August 1, 2005.
- "Reverberations from CAFTA vote are still being felt on Hill," The Hill, August 3, 2005.
- "Just Switch Parties," Salt Lake Tribune, August 3, 2005.
- "Bishop's CAFTA Vote Not Heroic," Deseret Morning News, August 8, 2005.
- "Steelworkers Holding Demo at U.S. Rep. Matheson's Salt Lake Office on CAFTA Vote," U.S. Newswire, August 9, 2005.
- "House Democrats under pressure after votes for DR-CAFTA," Inside US Trade, August 12, 2005.
FAT CAT: REP. MATHESON WALKS BY PROTESTERS ON WAY TO DINNER TO RAISE MONEY FOR PRO-CAFTA DEMOCRATS
CONTACT YOUR UTAH REPRESENTATIVE, AND LET HIM KNOW THAT HIS VOTE TO EXTEND NAFTA TO SIX MORE COUNTRIES WILL NOT GO UNNOTICED!
Call and ask to speak with a Trade Legislative Assistant, and tell them that the bad CAFTA votes of Reps. Bishop, Cannon, and Matheson are not supported by the citizens of the state of Utah!