CAFTA Damage Report: Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas)
Despite the stark evidence of the NAFTA model’s threat to working people in his district, and despite the opposition of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus to the trade agreement, Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas-28) cast a decisive vote for the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA), an expansion of NAFTA to six additional nations. CAFTA eked through the U.S. House of Representatives on July 27 by a 217-215 vote.
PUBLIC CITIZEN NEWS RELEASES:
NEWS ARTICLES ON CUELLAR'S BAD CAFTA VOTE AND ITS CONSEQUENCES
- "Unions unite in attempt to oust Cuellar," San Antonio Express-News, February 11, 2006.
- "Photo With Bush Helps Congressman's Rival," The Associated Press, February 10, 2006.
- "CAFTA Vote Outs 'Bush Democrats,'" The Nation, July 28, 2005.
- "Democracy Sold Out - CAFTA Approved by Pork and a Hill of Beans," CommonDreams.org, July 28, 2005.
- "Reverberations from CAFTA vote are still being felt on Hill," The Hill, August 3, 2005.
- "Friends, Foes Made Over Trade Deal," The Los Angeles Times, August 7, 2005.
- "After CAFTA, Cuellar on his party's hit list," The Dallas Morning News, August 7, 2005.
- "Anti-CAFTA groups suggest inside deals swayed votes," The Hill, August 10, 2005.
- "House Democrats under pressure after votes for DR-CAFTA," Inside US Trade, August 12, 2005.
- "Cuellar's colleagues want him out," The Hill, August 17, 2005.
- "CAFTA denies poorest vital medical treatment," Brownsville Herald, September 13, 2005.
PRESS RELEASES IN RESPONSE TO CUELLAR'S BAD CAFTA VOTE
- "56 Catholic Members of Congress Betray Culture of Life," Catholics for Faithful Citizenship, July 28, 2005.
CONTACT REPRESENTATIVE CUELLAR, AND LET HIM KNOW THAT HIS VOTE TO EXTEND NAFTA TO SIX MORE COUNTRIES WILL NOT GO UNNOTICED!
Call and ask to speak with a Trade Legislative Assistant, and tell them that Representative Cuellar's bad CAFTA vote is not supported by the citizens of Texas' 28th District!