Yet major news outlets are falling far short of connecting climate to extreme weather events – and Hurricane Harvey is no exception.
Public Citizen examined Hurricane Harvey coverage by 18 sources – 10 major newspapers, three weekly magazines and national programming from ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and Fox – from Aug. 25 to Sept. 1.
- Two major networks, ABC and NBC, did not mention climate change in the context of Harvey at all.
- The Wall Street Journal scarcely covered the issue in its news reporting and gave a platform to skeptics when it did.
- CNN, the Washington Post, the New York Times, and the Houston Chronicle produced 72% of the pieces that mentioned climate change (just four of the 18 outlets we analyzed).
- Twenty percent of pieces that mentioned climate connected it to human activity; and
- Twelve percent mentioned the possibility of mitigating climate change.