Nov. 28, 2018
How Trump’s Policies Hurt Children
Tear Gas, Metal Cages, Lead Poisoning; Welcome to Mr. Trump’s Neighborhood
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Virtually every corner of the Trump administration is developing policies that harm children and their futures, an analysis by Public Citizen found.
Trump’s anti-child policies are not limited to putting American children in cages or spraying tear gas at asylum seekers. Nearly every sector of the Trump administration, from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to the U.S. Department of Education, is churning out policies and proposals that would undermine the health, safety and economic well-being of America’s children and their parents.
“From the environment to health care to education to product safety, the interests of the largest U.S. corporations are far more important to the Trump administration than the health, safety and well-being of America’s children,” said Alan Zibel, research director of Public Citizen’s Corporate Presidency Project. “Rather than making America great again, Trump has made America’s children afraid like never before.”
Public Citizen has compiled a list of 33 Trump administration policies that put children at risk, including:
- Failing to prevent lead poisoning;
- Ousting the top environmental official for children’s health;
- Pushing to allow children to handle pesticides on farms;
- Doing nothing to prevent school shootings;
- Trying to cut funding for a teen pregnancy prevention program;
- Undermining efforts to improve school lunches;
- Nixing protections for transgender students; and
- Trying to slash food stamps for families.
Read the full report.