Aug 30 – CMS rejects petition to improve safety of genetic testing
In a decision that places cost concerns above public health, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has rejected a petition filed by a coalition of health and consumer groups calling for the agency to strengthen standards for genetic testing laboratories. Citing cost concerns, the agency told petitioners in a recent letter that it would not pursue the safety standards.
READ the entire press release
Petition requesting a genetic testing specialty and standards for proficiency testing
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services full response to the Petition for Rulemaking
- Report – Public Health at Risk: Failures in Oversight of Genetic Testing Laboratories
- Survey of US genetic testing laboratories
- Issue brief – Who regulates genetic tests?
- Article – Senators Obama and Burr introduce genetics bill
- Article – Senator Kennedy introduces the Laboratory Test Improvement Act