CAFTA Damage Report: Rep. Tim Murphy (R-Pa.)
Ignoring the will of his constituents and the devastating impact that the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has had on his state, Rep. Tim Murphy (R-Pa.) became a deciding “yes” vote for a six-nation NAFTA expansion called the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA), which eked through the House of Representatives 217 to 215. Many of Murphy’s constituents were opposed to both trade agreements because Pennsylvania has lost nearly a quarter of its manufacturing jobs since NAFTA.
PUBLIC CITIZEN NEWS RELEASES
- Dec. 14 – As Government Data Show Another Record Monthly U.S. Trade Deficit and Increasing Manufacturing Job Loss in Pittsburg Region, Rep. Murphy’s CAFTA Vote Still in Spotlight
- Sep. 14 – CAFTA Damage Report – After Freshman Congressman Tim Murphy Provides Vote That Passed CAFTA, Constituents Ask: Did Murphy Vote for CAFTA to Gain Favor With GOP Leaders, Win Corporate Campaign Contributors or Get Pork Barrel Funds?
NEWS ARTICLES ON MURPHY’S BAD CAFTA VOTE
- Letter to the Editor, “CAFTA will hurt us,” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 30, 2005.
PRESS RELEASES IN RESPONSE TO MURPHY’S VOTE
- “56 Catholic Members of Congress Betray Culture of Life,” Catholics for Faithful Citizenship, July 28, 2005.
CONTACT REPRESENTATIVE MURPHY, AND LET HIM KNOW THAT HIS VOTE TO EXTEND NAFTA TO SIX MORE COUNTRIES WILL NOT GO UNNOTICED!
- DC Office: 202-225-2301
- Pittsburgh District Office: 412-344-5583
- Visit Representative Murphy’s website
Call and ask to speak with a Trade Legislative Assistant, and tell them that Representative Murphy’s bad CAFTA vote is not supported by the citizens of Pennsylvania’s 18th District!