Representative LaTourette (R-Ohio-14) says his last minute flip-flop on the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) to vote “yes” was done to obtain tariff cuts on Central American plywood for a local furniture company, but plywood from Central America has been duty-free for decades. Citizens of Ohio’s 14th District are wondering how their Congressman could be so misinformed on a major piece of trade legislation.
PUBLIC CITIZEN NEWS RELEASES
- Dec. 14 – As Government Data Show Another Record Monthly U.S. Trade Deficit and Increasing Manufacturing Job Loss in Cleveland Region, Rep. LaTourette’s CAFTA Vote Still in Spotlight
- Aug. 12 – CAFTA Damage Report – Representative Steven LaTourette: Either Duped or Dishonest on CAFTA
NEWS ARTICLES ON LATOURETTE’S BAD CAFTA VOTE
- “LaTourette attributes flip-flop on CAFTA to tariff no one pays,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, August 10, 2005.
- “Rep. LaTourette (R) too stupid to remain in Congress?” Talking Points Memo, August 10, 2005.
- “House Democrats under pressure after votes for DR-CAFTA,” Inside US Trade, August 12, 2005.
- “CAFTA Contortionist: The embarrassing flip-flop of Steve LaTourette,” Akron Beacon-Journal (OH), August 14, 2005.
- “LaTourette voted on CAFTA before getting tariff report,” Cleveland Plain Dealer, August 14, 2005.
- “LaTourette’s Pro-CAFTA Vote Adding to GOP’s Woes,” Columbus Dispatch, August 14, 2005.
- “Hill Briefs: Trade,” National Journal’s Congress Daily, August 19, 2005
- “Another Nail in Coffin of American Dream,” Akron Beacon-Journal (Ohio), August 31, 2005.
CONTACT REPRESENTATIVE LATOURETTE, AND LET HIM KNOW THAT HIS VOTE TO EXTEND NAFTA TO SIX MORE COUNTREIS WILL NOT GO UNNOTICED!
- DC Office: 202-225-5731
- Painseville District Office: 440-352-3939
- Visit Representative LaTourette’s website
Call and ask to speak with a Trade Legislative Assistant, and tell them that Representative LaTourette’s bad CAFTA vote is not supported by the citizens of Ohio’s 14th District!