CAFTA Damage Report: Rep. Melissa Bean (D-Ill.)
In a blow to the Illinois working families who campaigned to put her in office in 2004 and in contradiction to a 2004 campaign pledge to oppose the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Rep. Melissa Bean (D Ill.-8) voted in favor of the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA), which eked through the House of Representatives on July 27 by a 217-215 vote. Bean’s flip-flop has the citizens of Illinois’ 8th district worried that their Congresswoman is either unable or unwilling to stand up for their concerns.
PUBLIC CITIZEN NEWS RELEASES
- Dec. 14 – As Government Data Show Another Record Monthly U.S. Trade Deficit and Increasing Manufacturing Job Loss in Chicago Region, Rep. Bean’s CAFTA Vote Still in Spotlight
- Aug. 25 – CAFTA Damage Report – With Illinois Jobs at Risk, Freshman Rep. Melissa Bean Flip-Flops from Campaign Pledge to Oppose NAFTA Expansions, Casts a Deciding CAFTA Vote
NEWS ARTICLES ON BEAN’S BAD CAFTA VOTE
- “CAFTA Vote Outs ‘Bush Democrats,'” The Nation, August 28, 2005.
- “Democracy Sold Out – CAFTA Approved by Pork and a Hill of Beans,” CommonDreams.org, July 28, 2005.
- “Labor Won’t Forget the CAFTA Dems,” Capital Times, July 28, 2005.
- “Union chief rips Bean for backing trade pact,” Chicago Sun-Times, July 29, 2005.
- “Unions Say They Will Punish Democrats For Supporting DR-CAFTA Deal,” Inside US Trade, July 29, 2005.
- “Reverberations from CAFTA vote are still being felt on Hill,” The Hill, August 3, 2005.
- “Bean loses ‘Person of Year’ award over CAFTA vote,” Associated Press, August 4, 2005.
- “Bean’s Vote on CAFTA sparks AFL-CIO reaction,” Barrington Courier-Review, August 11, 2005.
- “House Democrats under pressure after votes for DR-CAFTA,” Inside US Trade, August 12, 2005.
- “Bean’s Vote Upsets Union,” Palatine Countryside (Ill.), August 18, 2005.
CONTACT REPRESENTATIVE BEAN, AND LET HER KNOW THAT HER VOTE TO EXTEND NAFTA TO SIX MORE COUNTRIES WILL NOT GO UNNOTICED!
- DC Office: 202-225-3711
- Palatine District Office: 847-358-9160
- Visit Representative Bean’s website
Call and ask to speak with a Trade Legislative Assistant, and tell them that Representative Bean’s bad CAFTA vote is not supported by the citizens of Illinois’ 8th District!