Global Access to Medicines – Legal Patent Internship
Public Citizen is a non-partisan public interest group with more than 400,000 members and activists. Key areas of organizational focus include pharmaceutical drug safety and consumer health, among others.
Public Citizen’s Global Access to Medicines Program works with partners worldwide to help improve access to medicines through use of cost-lowering measures including generic competition. Please see www.citizen.org/access.
We are now seeking a highly skilled, motivated, self-directed and experienced legal intern for the Fall 2023 and Winter 2023. The internship provides an excellent opportunity to gain or enhance an understanding of the practice of patent laws around the world in the context of a nongovernmental organization. Previous experience in, or knowledge of, the field of patent law is required.
The intern will be supervised by our Legal Counsel on assigned matters and will have numerous opportunities to learn about the practice of patent law in the public interest.
The Intern Will:
- assist our team in our regular course of work, which includes review and analysis of national and international patent and scientific literature
- conduct prior art search, study patents and patent validity, draft memos in support of patent opposition proceedings, analyze case law
- conduct legal research and other support activities
- work with U.S. and international nongovernmental organizations
- some limited administrative work should also be expected
Desired Competencies and Qualifications:
- Excellent law school records, technical undergrad background (science & engineering) preferred
- Previous experience in the field of patent law (international experience is helpful but not required) and knowledge of other fields of intellectual property
- While research experience is always welcome, a desire to learn, a passion for patent law and policy, and enthusiasm for public interest work is most appreciated!
- Excellent communication, attention to detail and organizational skills
- A positive attitude and a good sense of humor
Public Citizen internships are available year round. Our internships are up to 40 hours a week for around eight weeks. **We accept unpaid internship applications on a rolling basis and currently are accepting applications for paid internships for Fall 2023.**
Public Citizen offers unpaid internships (credit can be arranged) and a small number of paid internships ($16.50 an hour). To be considered for a paid internship for Fall 2023, candidates must apply by July 10, 2023, and submit materials listed below. Chosen applicants will be notified by Monday, August 7, 2023.
Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com