State Public Records Laws
Requesting Records from State Governments
The federal Freedom of Information Act does not apply to records held by state and local government officials. However, many states have laws that provide public access to records of state and local government bodies upon requests. Some state laws are very similar to the federal Freedom of Information Act, but many are quite different. The procedures for requesting records from state to state. State laws also have exemption provisions that are slightly different from those under the federal law
The links below provide information on the laws that govern public access to records of state and local government.
General Guides To State Laws
- List of Statutory Citations of State F0I Laws
- by the Freedom of Information Center of the University of Missouri School of Journalism on the Campus of the University of Missouri-Columbia.
- State and National Freedom of Information Resources
- by the National Freedom of Information Coalition, an affiliation of state organizations promoting access to government information.
- Tapping Official Secrets
- A guide to using state open government laws for records and meetings by the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press.
Resources for Particular States
- California Public Records Act Guide
- hosted by the First Amendment Project
- Florida Government in the Sunshine: A Citizen's Guide
- hosted by by The Brechner Center for Freedom of Information
- Indiana Public Access Counselor
- Public Access Counselor provides advice and assistance concerning the Indiana's public access laws.
- Missouri Sunshine Law: Open Meetings and Open Records
- A chapter of the Missouri Media Law Handbook Media Law Committee, The Missouri Bar 1997.
- New York Committee on Open Government
- State Committee responsible for overseeing and advising with regard to the New York Freedom of Information, Open Meetings and Personal Privacy Protection Laws.
- Virginia Freedom of Information Advisory Council
- An advisory council in the Virginia legislature established to encourage and facilitate compliance with the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.