Washington is a swamp of lobbyists, big-money campaign contributions, and fund raisers. Public Citizen is working for ethics laws that drain the swamp and make sure the government serves the public rather than public officials' whims or private interests.
We've come a long way, especially with a landmark law we helped to pass in 2007, but the rules must be tougher. Public Citizen has fought - and continues to fight - for laws that restrict lobbyists' activities, or at minimum mandate better disclosure of them. We've recently won bans on lobbyist gifts to members of Congress and other federal employees. We also won restrictions on corporate-sponsored travel and the "revolving door" between Congress and K Street, Washington’s notorious lobbyist corridor.
But current and former members of Congress, and their staffs, are still cashing in at the expense of the country.
More Resources on Congressional Ethics
- Oh Where, Oh Where Is the House Ethics Committee?, March 20, 2017
- Press Release: Coalition Urges Lawmakers to Release Results of Ethics Investigation, August 26, 2015
- Letter: Letter Calling on the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Ethics to Release Azerbaijan Travel Complaint Findings (PDF), August 26, 2015
- Letter: Support Strengthen House Floor Integrity Resolution (PDF), February 4, 2015
- Senate Ethics Reform Letter, October 15, 2014
- The Case for Independent Ethics Agencies: The Office of Congressional Ethics Six Years Later, and a History of Failed Senate Accountability (PDF), October 15, 2014
- House of Representatives Ethics Reform Letter, October 6, 2014
- Coalition Letter: Support the Foreign Travel Cost Disclosure Act (HR 1359) (PDF), March 8, 2013
- Letter to Office of Congressional Ethics Regarding Attorneys' Procedure Suggestions (PDF), February 12, 2013
- Office of Congressional Ethics letter to Reps. Boehner and Pelosi , December 11, 2012
- Office of Congressional Ethics letter to Reps. Boehner and Pelosi , September 25, 2012
- Section-by-Section Analysis of H. Res. 5: Adopting Rules fir the 112th Congress (PDF), December 23, 2010
- H. Res. 5: Adopting Rules for the 112th Congress (PDF), December 23, 2010
- Letter to Speaker-designee John Boehner: Preserve and Strengthen 2007 Ethics Rules (PDF), December 21, 2010
- Chart: Congressional Ethics Enforcement- From Decade of Inaction to OCE Period of Accountability (PDF), December 1, 2010
- Letter to John Boehner: Chart a Better Course on Congressional Ethics (PDF), November 18, 2010
- Report: Wall Street Reform Conference Committee Lobbied by Former Congressional Staffers (PDF), June 11, 2010
- Letter Supporting the Embattled Office of Congressional Ethics (PDF), June 9, 2010
- Chart: BP's Revolving Door Lobbyists and Campaign Contributions (PDF), June 4, 2010
- Opinion Article: "The Illusionist: What Reform Opposition?" by Craig Holman. Politico, May 25, 2007