Public Citizen is seeking an Austin-based Fall 2023 communications intern to join our team in support of our efforts during the next session of the Texas Legislature, set to begin in January.
The Texas office of Public Citizen works to protect the environment and public health and tackle climate change in a state where fossil fuel interests and polluting corporations have an outsized influence on our politics. Working in and around the legislature is challenging and fast-paced. The right candidate for this position will gain valuable experience in the legislative process and how public advocacy and communications can impact what happens inside the Capitol.
We are looking for applicants with strong writing and communication skills who are interested in public policy and making a difference for the people of Texas.
- Assist with planning and conducting in person and virtual press events
- Write press materials and contribute to message development
- Respond to and arrange interview requests
- Maintain press lists
- Help manage the organization’s social media channels
- Track and log Public Citizen’s press mentions and interview appearances
- Monitor legislative committee hearings and other legislative proceedings
- Some in person attendance at Capitol hearings, events and other meetings is expected
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Candidates seeking a career in journalism, public relations, marketing, or a related field are preferred, but others are welcome and encouraged to apply
- Solid understanding of the legislative process and the Texas political landscape
- Knowledgeable of social media channels
- Graphic design skills are a big plus
Please submit a résumé and letter of interest, along with a writing sample, to Jose Medina, press officer for the Texas office of Public Citizen, at email@example.com. Please write “Communications Internship” in the subject line.
Paid positions ($17.00) are awarded based, in part, on financial need. Applicants must include a description of why you need a paid internship, including a FASFA if possible.
To be considered for a paid internship for Winter 2024, candidates must apply by November 17, 2023, and submit materials listed below. Chosen applicants will be notified by Monday, December 11, 2023.