Come be a part of Public Citizen’s communications team and learn how one of Washington, D.C.’s original public interest watchdog groups spreads its messages and reaches out to the media. You’ve heard that corporations have lobbyists; we are the people’s lobbyists, representing the public in the halls of power on a variety of critical issues. We fight for public health and safety, champion corporate and government accountability, and campaign for fair trade, clean and safe energy, and consumer rights. We work aggressively to get our message out in print, radio, television and online. This is an opportunity to make a difference while getting some great experience for your résumé!
We seek a current student for part-time internship for spring 2020 for at least 20 hours per week. Applicants should have an interest in social media, graphic creation and video production and be prepared to help us create hard-hitting content for Public Citizen’s online channels. A successful candidate will be passionate about progressive issues and versed in a variety of social media platforms, and have a knack for crafting creative content that makes trending news stories and complex policy proposals accessible, relevant and compelling to a wide audience.
- Monitor social media and craft engaging posts on breaking and trending topics
- Create graphics for social media channels
- Assist the social media associate in developing social media strategies for campaigns and projects
- Monitor the news and come up with creative video ideas
- Assist with video/photography shoots
- Provide social media support and logistical back-up at public events, briefings and rallies
- Working with Public Citizen’s policy and social media staffers, shoot, edit and produce videos
- Other duties as necessary
- Strong understanding of the digital media landscape and fluency with prominent social media channels, including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Minimum 3 months of demonstrable social media experience
- Skills in social media graphic creation. Experience working in Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop in particular) a big plus, but not required
- Basic experience with video creation, including shooting video, capturing audio, editing footage using professional video editing software and animating text for social media videos
- Basic exposure to or experience with marketing or analytics a plus, but not required
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Ability to multitask
- Willingness to shift gears quickly
- Desire to work in a nonprofit environment
Please send the following items to Angela Bradbery, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Spring 2020 social media internship”
- Your cover letter and résumé
- A graphic/meme you created
- A video you shot, edited or produced
- A social media post you authored that performed well
People of color, women and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
Public Citizen offers unpaid internships (course credit can be arranged and a small number of paid internships ($15 an hour). To be considered for a paid internship for Summer 2020, candidates must apply by March 13, 2020, and submit materials listed below. Our summer internships are typically full time (40 hours a week for around eight weeks), although we have some flexibility as to hours and weeks. Chosen applicants will be notified by Monday, April 6, 2020.
If you are applying for a paid internship, please include an essay outlining why you want to intern at Public Citizen and any other information about you that you wish to have considered, including your need for financial support (500 words or less). If you have completed the FAFSA, please also submit a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR).