Legal Patent Intern
Public Citizen is a non-partisan public interest group with more than 300,000 members and activists. Key areas of organizational focus include pharmaceutical drug safety and consumer health, among others.
Public Citizen's Global Access to Medicines Program works with partners worldwide to help improve access to medicines through use of cost-lowering measures including generic competition. Please see www.citizen.org/access.
We are now seeking a highly skilled, motivated, self-directed and experienced legal intern for the spring/summer 2013. The internship provides an excellent opportunity to gain or enhance an understanding of the practice of patent laws around the world in the context of a nongovernmental organization. Previous experience in, or knowledge of, the field of patent law is required.
The intern will be supervised by our Legal Counsel on assigned matters and will have numerous opportunities to learn about the practice of patent law in the public interest.
The Intern Will:
• assist our team in our regular course of work, which includes review and analysis of national and international patent and scientific literature
• conduct prior art search, study patents and patent validity, draft memos in support of patent opposition proceedings, analyze case law
• conduct legal research and other support activities
• work with U.S. and international nongovernmental organizations
• some limited administrative work should also be expected
• Excellent law school records, technical undergrad background (science & engineering) preferred
Desired Competencies and Qualifications:
• Previous experience in the field of patent law (international experience is helpful but not required) and knowledge of other fields of intellectual property
• While research experience is always welcome, a desire to learn, a passion for patent law and policy, and enthusiasm for public interest work is most appreciated!
• Excellent communication, attention to detail and organizational skills
• A positive attitude and a good sense of humor
Our internships are UNPAID, though academic credit can be arranged. We are currently seeking interns for Spring/Summer2013. The internship is based in our Washington DC office. Please include the range of dates you may be available to work in your application.
Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com