Campaign Director - Constitutional Amendment Campaign
General Description: The Supreme Court’s decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission dealt a body blow to our democracy, inviting corporations to spend whatever they choose to influence election outcomes, and entering the United States into a Wild West era of out-of-control campaign spending.
Public Citizen is working to build a movement for a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United. Our constitutional amendment campaign aims to continue to generate grassroots support for an amendment; enlarge the organizational coalition in support of an amendment, including by involving groups not traditionally involved in money and politics issues; win state and local resolutions calling for an amendment; and build Congressional support for an amendment. Public Citizen advocates for a wide variety of campaign finance reforms, ranging from public financing to stronger disclosure of campaign contributors, and our constitutional amendment campaign is integrated with these efforts.
Public Citizen believes in the imperative of a constitutional amendment to undo the damage from the Citizens United decision. We also believe that an amendment campaign presents an opportunity both to advance public discussion about corporate power and improper corporate influence in politics, society and the law, and to push other campaign finance reforms.
Since the Supreme Court handed down the Citizens United decision in January 2010, Public Citizen has worked to build a grassroots movement calling for an amendment. With allies, our work is yielding visible and impressive progress: Nine states and 300 cities and towns have passed resolutions or the equivalent calling for a constitutional amendment; more than 125 members of Congress have sponsored an amendment; and President Obama has expressed his support for an amendment. In the wake of the 2012 elections, it's time for the movement to jump to an even higher level of organization and prominence.
The campaign coordinator is a senior level position. In conjunction with other senior staff, the campaign coordinator will develop and implement Public Citizen’s constitutional amendment campaign strategy. The campaign prioritizes organizing and communications.
Specific Responsibilities:1. With other senior staff, develop overall campaign strategy. The strategy must leverage the public outrage with out-of-control campaign spending, converting that outrage to activism and building an expanding movement.
2. Elevate the profile of the constitutional amendment movement, so that it has more prominent advocates, a higher public profile and greater public awareness.
3. Outreach to national organizations to build support for a constitutional amendment, and build an effective organizational coalition. Coordinate closely with key organizational allies. Work with allies among civil rights groups and others to develop an organizational alliance advancing a joint response to money and politics, and voter suppression issues.
4. Build the number of grassroots supporters for a constitutional amendment, and engage those supporters in visible activity advocating for an amendment.
5. Develop and implement plans to win more state and local resolutions calling for a constitutional amendment.
6. Identify opportunities and needs for multimedia material related to a constitutional amendment.
7. With our Congress Watch division, develop and implement a strategy to increase Congressional support for a constitutional amendment, and to elevate the profile of the issue on Capitol Hill.
8. Manage and oversee amendment campaign staff.
9. Coordinate activities with senior staff.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications:Candidates should be high energy, strategically savvy, able to develop their own work plans, and effective managers. They must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, build coalitions, and work collaboratively. They must be excellent communicators, with strong analytic and writing skills. They should evidence a passion for justice and democracy, strong interest in and commitment to curbing excessive corporate power and advancing the public interest, and good humor.
To Apply:CVs, writing sample and a detailed cover letter should be sent to Aileen Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Amendment Campaign Coordinator. No phone calls, please.