• Handle major gift donors and prospects throughout the country, meeting annual revenue goals and moving prospects through the cultivation/solicitation cycle.
• Manage a portfolio of approximately 100 prospects, largely consisting of prospects with the capacity to contribute $25,000+ annually.
• Travel frequently to meet with donors and prospects and manage all appropriate follow-up, including solicitations and written trip reports.
• Work with Director of Development and other members of the development team to develop strategies related to fundraising activities at Public Citizen.
• Collaborate with Director of Development and other members of the development team to provide creative leadership over all aspects of major gifts team.
• Work with Public Citizen leadership in implementation of prospect relationship plans, including writing briefings for Public Citizen President and Directors in preparation for donor visits.
• Work with the Director of Development to set budget goals and perform periodic budget reviews.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum of four years of development experience with a proven record of successful, personal major gift solicitations.
• Ability and desire to travel frequently.
• Experience developing and overseeing donor programs.
• Experience with major gifts techniques such as tracking and moves management.
• Skills in identifying and soliciting gifts from new potential donors.
• Excellent communication and solicitation skills, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and frequent deadlines.
• Level-headedness and good judgment; a sense of humor; willingness to learn is essential.
• Strong commitment to the public interest.