Title: Web/Administrative Assistant (20 hours/week)
Department: Health Research Group
Reports to: Health Research Group Web Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Come and be part of a hard-hitting research team working to counter the pharmaceutical and medical device industries’ power in Washington, D.C. Public Citizen’s Health Research Group (HRG) petitions the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to ban or warn about dangerous drugs and devices, calls out the FDA when it gets too cozy with the industries it regulates, blows the whistle on unethical clinical trials, and works to improve patient safety and state medical board oversight of dangerous doctors. We publish reports and two monthly newsletters to inform people about dangerous drugs and devices and other health research we do. Our team needs a part-time Web/Administrative Assistant to provide web-updating and administrative support to WorstPills.org and the Health Research Group.
1. Add drug recalls, newsletter articles, e-alerts, new monographs, monograph updates and other content to WorstPills.org in an accurate and timely manner.
2. Perform “drug” indexing of all WorstPills.org updates posted.
3. Add news links to WorstPills.org home page twice a week (after approval by Web Manager).
4. Create an electronic archive of HRG publications.
5. Maintain “Activist Courses,” and “Health Letter” sections of the HRG website.
6. Respond to WorstPills.org consumer correspondence.
7. Assist with administrative tasks involving WorstPills.org billing cycle.
8. Assist with WorstPills.org social media efforts, including Twitter.
9. Participate in other projects as determined by the Director.
Ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment; self-starter with strong ability to work well both independently and in a group. Strong interest in and commitment to the public interest.
College degree preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
Requires expert skill with Microsoft Office environment (Word, Access, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), HTML and strong writing skills. Experience using track changes in Word is essential. Must be adept at learning new software. Knowledge of Content Management System web applications, Adobe Photoshop, Google Analytics, DemocracyInAction or other email-blast tools and video-editing software preferred. Experience with social media or web/graphic design and completed coursework in health and science a plus.
2 years web experience preferred, health-related preferred.
Must be able to work effectively with a wide range of people, work well under pressure, and adapt to changing situations on a daily basis. Must evaluate needs and prioritize. Must be comfortable with both online and phone research.
Please send resume, cover letter and writing sample to: Rebecca Kahn, firstname.lastname@example.org.