Communications Internship for Fall 2013
Come be a part of Public Citizen’s Communications team and learn how one of Washington, D.C.’s original public interest watchdog groups spreads its messages and reaches out to the media. You’ve heard that corporations have lobbyists; we are the people’s lobbyists, representing the public in the halls of power on a variety of critical issues. We fight for public health and safety, champion corporate and government accountability, and campaign for fair trade, clean and safe energy, and consumer rights. We work aggressively to get our message out in print, radio, television and online. This is an opportunity to make a difference while getting some great experience for your résumé!
We seek a well-informed intern for the fall semester of 2013 for a minimum
of 15 hours a week (the schedule is flexible). While this is an unpaid
position, you can get academic credit for your work if your school permits.
Interns will have a varied and interesting range of assignments. Key components of the job are:
• Writing and proofreading press releases, media advisories, blog posts and articles for Public Citizen News, the organization’s member newspaper.
• Pitching upcoming press conferences and events to reporters.
• Taking photos and/or videotaping press conferences and other events, and creating videos for Public Citizen’s Web site.
• Providing administrative support with research, database management, press list maintenance and data entry, among other tasks.
• Helping us maintain our Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Strong writing and communication skills, experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Access), basic knowledge of the news gathering process and current events.
Please send your cover letter, résumé and a brief writing sample to Angela Bradbery, Director of Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 1600 20th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20009.