Brand name: Surfaxin
Public Citizen has been assessing the quality and efficacy of drugs and devices since its founding in 1971. We use the law, petitions, and letters to monitor the FDA and coax the agency into action. Our actions have contributed to many drugs being pulled off the market. Public Citizen has also been instrumental in getting “black box” and other warnings on drugs. Our advocacy work on this drug is available below.
If you are interesting in reading our evaluations of the safety and efficacy of medications as well as information on drug side effects and interactions, please visit WorstPills.org.
More information on surfactant (Surfaxin)
- Description of Efforts to Redesign Surfactant (Surfaxin) Study in Latin America, February 17, 2007
- Press Release: Placebo-Controlled Drug Trial in Latin America Redesigned, April 4, 2001
- Letter Requesting that HHS Halt Plans for Unethical Placebo-Controlled Study of Drug for Respiratory Distress Syndrome, February 22, 2001
- Letter Concerning Unethical Studies Which Used Placebos on HIV-Positive Pregnany Women in Developing Countries, October 23, 1997
- Letter Concerning Funding of Unethical Trials Which Administer Placebos to HIV-infected Pregnant Women, April 22, 1997